Friday 16 March 2012

Finally an update!


To those following this tiny little blog I'm so sorry for not posting anything in over a month. Between therapy, doctor and hospital appointments...illness's, little one's not sleeping well (at night and naptime) and seizure worries...I'm just plain tired and stressed out. Basically I get up do my insane running around and dealing with the daily events and then fall into bed Googling this or that that relates to Ryan stuff (which ultimately results in a fairly crappy sleep)!

Since my last post, Ryan has been to the ENT at MacMaster. At this appointment he had an extreme amount of wax vacuumed out of his tiny little ear (just his right one). He actually clogged the vacuum twice...I know gross eh? not too mention probably very uncomfortable for Ryan! The doctor then told me that Ryan still has fluid in his ears. It's been an on going problem but usually only when he gets sick. This time he was healthy and the fluid is still there. Based on the fluid and some tests the had been run in the past by a different doctor it has been determined that Ryan has mild to moderate hearing loss. Given that he is already low vision you can imagine how he must be feeling and functioning (amongst other issues). The doctor feels that once the fluid is drained with tubes his hearing and possibly his speech SHOULD pick up (at this point - 17 months of age - Ryan does not babble). I was told that there is a 6 month wait list for ear tube surgery. I basically looked at the doctor like he was crazy and told him that is not acceptable given the circumstances to which he agreed and said he'd try to bump him up the list.

Along with being told Ryan has mild to moderate hearing loss we also learned that his vision has also taken a blow. We knew that by choosing the drug Vigabatrin to control and treat his Infantile Spasms we would run the risk of damaging his retina's. It's one of the main and more serious side effects of the anti-convulsant. When he had his ERG done at Sick Kids we were told that his retina's had remained stable. What a relief we felt! However, in mid February we received a letter telling us something completely different. It seems Ryan has suffered some damage but we don't know exactly how much or what it means. He has an appointment with his regular ophthamologist on March 20th at Mac so we will be discussing this further. One thing we are still sticking to is the obvious...saving his brain is more important than saving his eyes so keeping him on Vigabatrin will more than likely continue until he is about 2 years old.

A few weeks later Ryan's "emergency" EEG appointment had finally arrived. Oh my, the stress leading up to this test really can't be described in words. It was a sleep deprived EEG so you'd think Ryan would fall asleep as soon as he was given the opportunity...no, not this fella. He's not big into sleep anyway (thanks to Vigabatrin) but put him in a strange room in a physically uncomfortable situation and it's even worse. He did eventually sleep for 30 minutes in my arms but that wasn't without a whole lot of swaying, bouncing, rocking and patting...all of which I wasn't even allowed to do! The technician told me to keep myself and him as still as possible during the test...REALLY!?!?! She realized she had no choice but to let me do my thing, so as I'm giving Ryan some of my best tricks to get him to relax she had to type in everything I did on the computer so it would match up with what she was seeing on her computer screen. Finally he slept. So there we sat, me with my arms and back burning with fire (we've all been there eh?), Jeff sitting off to the side watching and wishing he could make this all just go away and the tech quietly chatting away with me while once again I sat there with my eyes burning a whole in the monitor watching Ryan's brain waves either staying nice and constant or suddenly spiking in mountainous waves. Jeff kept giving me the eye trying to get me to stop "reading" the monitor but those who have been through something like this know that it's impossible to tear your eyes away from it!


The next day the neurologist's nurse called (after I left a slightly frantic message to call me asap), she had great news! His EEG wasn't showing any new activity and the activity at the back of his brain from his September EEG has actually improved! We don't know how much or what that means because God forbid we should be given more information than that but the good news is that this EEG looked better than the last one. I don't like being wrong...ever...haha...but in this case holy smokes was I ever happy to be wrong! I' m still not entirely convinced that there isn't anything going on but at least we have some small comfort that there is no new activity creeping up on him!

When the EEG was completed the day before we popped into his eye doctor on the same floor to see if they had yet received his ERG report from Sick Kids...they had not. His neurologist apparently does have a copy so I'm hoping that through some more phone calls they will be given the report by the time our appointment arrives. After popping in there we headed down one floor to the ENT clinic to see if they had any news about Ryan's tube surgery. They had nothing to tell me other than he had not been put on their "urgent" list...WHAT!?!?!? Are you kidding me! I gave them a brief breakdown on Ryan and my conversation with the doctor. They assured me they would speak with the doctor and get back to me. The very next day we got the call that Ryan's surgery date had been book and will be happening just a few weeks from now!!! Dang I love when things go well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.